How the Change in Seasons Could Be Affecting Your Child's Grades
Have you noticed a change in your child’s temperament recently? Perhaps they have become volatile and aggressive, picking fights with you or their siblings? Or maybe your child has become withdrawn and quiet, not wanting to socialize or participate in family activities? More often than not, these changes can be attributed to general adolescent moodiness. However, in some cases, they could be symptoms of ‘Seasonal Affective Disorder’ or ‘SAD.'
What Is SAD and How Can You Help Your Student Through It
With extensive experience helping students achieve their best throughout the entire year, The Tutoring Center, Ocoee FL notice changes in student behavior, including changes related to the season. For this article, The Tutoring Center, Ocoee FL has some information below to share about Seasonal Affective Disorder, what it is, how to spot it, and how to get through it during the transition and cold months.
What Is Seasonal Affective Disorder?
Seasonal Affective Disorder typically begins during fall and lasts into winter, tapering off in spring and summer. It is thought to be brought on by changes in the weather, reduced amounts of daylight, and the impact that these two factors have on the natural sleep cycle.
While this disorder can affect anybody, its effects are felt particularly by teenagers and those going through adolescence, which is an already challenging time for students.
What Are the Symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder?
When it comes to identifying the symptoms, it largely comes down to your child's regular behavior, and how it differs from their current behavior. However, there is a list of general symptoms to keep a look out for, which can include:
- A consistently low moodIncreased irritability and aggravation
- Changes in eating habits or fluctuations in weight
- A general lack of motivation and disinterest in hobbies
- Your child may be reluctant to get out of bed and go to school in the morning
- Their grades may drop, and they may start falling behind in class
- They may become distracting to other student sand disrupt their classes
If your child is exhibiting low moods or a lack of motivation towards their schoolwork, their grades can suffer as a result. To keep their school work on track, speak with The Tutoring Center, Ocoee FL at (407) 614-5980 and ask about the benefits of one-to-one tutoring. Through dedicated sessions, students are given the attention they need to keep their minds focused and learning.
How Your Child Can Get Through the Tough and Cold Months
When it comes to helping your student through these times, there are many great ideas to try
- Help them to manage their study time and extracurricular activities so that they can maintain a regular sleep cycle. This could include setting out a sleep, work, and play schedule.
- More often than not, a large amount of school work can overwhelm a student, compounding the issue. Help them to break down large projects into smaller, less intimidating ones.
- Encourage your child to become involved in sports to get their endorphins going. Even something as small as walking around the block a few times each afternoon can be a great help to their mood. If you are feeling the effects of the cold, this is a great way for both of you to enjoy time together and help raise their spirits.
- A great way to lift their mood and wake their mind is a creative activity which they enjoy, such as dance lessons or an art class. While not strictly educational, these are a great complement to their studies while raising their mood.
- Speak with your student about their moods and the effects a changing season can have. Sometimes, students can feel down on themselves for feeling down, not realizing that something as common as the change in weather can affect their behavior. Simply hearing this explanation from a calm parent can be just what a child needs to understand what is happening.
Keep Your Child's Grades on Track With Tutoring in Ocoee FL
The change in weather and reduced sunlight exposure can take their toll on an already stressed student mind. If you can see that the change of seasons is adding taking its toll on your child’s grades, help is at hand.
Give The Tutoring Center, Ocoee FL
a call at (407) 614-5980
to find out how one-to-one tutoring in Ocoee FL
can help your student keep their studies on track
and lift their mood with the confidence boost achieving high grades brings.