Spelling encompasses a series of rules and information (which involves grammar, the alphabet and pronunciation) that determine the correct way to write a word. Needless to say, it is necessary to spell well in order to express yourself appropriately in written form. However, if you notice that your child is having a hard time with their spelling skills, this post will go over a few ways you can help them improve.
How to Help Your Child Become a Better Speller
- First, encourage your child to read. By helping them create a reading habit and providing the appropriate reading material, you’ll notice that they’ll become better spellers and writers.
- Speaking of writing, motivate your child to write as well. When they keep a diary, journal, or write down short stories, they’re practicing their grammar and spelling skills.
- A dictionary is a great tool your child could use if they’re trying to spell better. It can help them verify the meaning and spelling of words, which will also help expand their vocabulary.
- To write correctly, you should be aware of the different rules that make up the spelling of the English language. Mnemonic devices (e.g. a rhyme) can help your child have an easier time memorizing them.
- It’s probable that your child has more trouble spelling certain words than others. In these cases, you can create a spelling log in which they write those words down and practice them.
- Finally, practice can make a huge difference in your child’s spelling ability. Help them exercise their skills by giving them worksheets to complete (you can find ones online) or allowing them to play certain word games (like Scrabble).
The Tutoring Center Provides One-to-One Tutoring in Ocoee
If your child needs a helping hand to become better in spelling, grammar, math or reading, know that The Tutoring Center in Ocoee provides the guidance and tools your child requires to reach their academic potential. Call (407) 614-5980 to schedule a free consultation.